APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Please check back for future opportunities.
The APIA MN Film Collective’s Production Lab is a skill building opportunity for APIA filmmakers in Minnesota. Participants will have the opportunity to observe, learn, and participate on Naomi Ko’s new short film.
The Lab will have several key activities:
1. Practice and learn new filmmaking skills in the following fields: directing, cinematography, lighting, sound mixing, production design, art direction, wardrobe & costuming, and producing.
2. Train and familiarize filmmakers on using industry-standard equipment.
3. Build relationships between participants and working national APIA filmmakers.
The APIA MN Film Collective’s Production Lab is led by co-founding members Naomi Ko and Kazua Melissa Vang. They are award-winning artists, screenwriters, filmmakers, producers, community organizers, consultants, and cultural producers. The additional filmmakers involved as organizers, mentors, and instructors have had been developed at, worked for, and/or premiered at Tribeca Film Festival, Warner Bros., HBO, Sundance Film Festival, Sundance Now, NBC Universal, among others.
We currently plan for this project to take place around May 3-5, May 10-12, 17-19, or 24-27, 2019. Dates are subject to change due to weather. Interested participants must keep these dates OPEN. The production lab will take place in the Twin Cities Metro Area.
We currently have up to 15 spots available for this program. Participants will receive a monetary stipend for their time spent on-set.
Applications are now closed.
If you applied, please check your email for your status.
1. Participants must be 18 years-of-age and older.
2. Participants identify as Asian/Asian Pacific Islander American. This includes individuals who are Southeast Asian, Middle Eastern, Desi, South Asian, East Asian, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander as well as though who are of mixed Asian heritage. However, due to the lack of filmmaking opportunities for all underrepresented and marginalized communities, we will accept applications from Native, black, and POC individuals. Priority will be given to Asian/APIAs. We recognize that these descriptions and this language is ever-evolving and will always be inadequate.
3. A positive, flexible, and "go-getter" attitude as well as a strong initiative to learn.
4. A resident of the State of Minnesota.
1. Work experience in filmmaking. This may consist of film production experience from all budget levels and expertise levels including filmmaking work in commercials, industrials, and documentaries. It also includes paid, unpaid, intern, student work as well.
2. An interest in narrative filmmaking.
Note: Participants do not need previous filmmaking experience to apply and to participate. We understand that there are limited filmmaking experiences in the State of Minnesota, especially for APIAs and other underrepresented and marginalized communities.
If you have any questions, please contact Naomi & Melissa at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am am a resident of Wisconsin, Iowa, North or South Dakota, Illinois, Michigan, etc. Can I still apply and participate?
No, we can only accept participants who are residents of the State of Minnesota. We are working to broaden our scope to include other APIAs, blacks, Natives, and POCs from the Midwest to participate, as we know opportunities are few and far between. Please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can let you know of other opportunities.
I am currently attending college out-of-state, but I am originally from Minnesota and family still lives there. Can I still apply and participate?
Yes, as long as you are still a resident of Minnesota and pay taxes to the state, vote in Minnesota, etc.
Will the production lab produce a film project of my own?
No. We are working to provide an opportunity to help fund APIA Minnesotan driven content, however this production lab is to work on Naomi Ko’s short film. We cannot use these funds for anything else.
I am a documentary filmmaker, but I am interested in narrative filmmaking. Can I still apply?
Yes! Please do!
If I apply, do I automatically get into the program?
No. We only have up to 15 spots open. We will be reviewing each application on its own merit.
But I don’t have any film experience? Will that hurt my chances?
Not at all. We are looking for hardworking individuals who demonstrate a commitment to learning narrative filmmaking. We predict that a chunk our participants will not have film experience.
Will I be expected to be handle major filmmaking responsibilities?
No. We will have a professional film crew. You will learn and observe from them. We will give more details at orientation.
I have participated in one the APIA MN Film Collective’s Screenwriting Labs for Narrative Filmmakers. Will this hurt and/or help my application?
No to both. However, you are required to apply, just like everyone else. We look forward to reading your application.
Will there be more programs like this in the future?
We hope so. We’re working on it. (If you’d like to see more programs like this and also have connect to funding opportunities, please hit us up email@example.com.) We also do have Screenwriting Labs for Narrative Filmmakers. Please visit our website or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for our upcoming workshops and intensives.
I think this a great idea and I want to support! How can I?
Please share this program with people you think who would be interested! Also email us if you have thoughts or suggestions to help us raise more funds! Also email us if you’d like to donate. We have a fiscal sponsor so that mean’s your donation is a charitable deduction!
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from the Minnesota State Arts Board and the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund. Additional funding provided by the Asian Pacific Endowment through the Saint Paul Foundation.